Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Countdown: 3 Days

It's crunch time. Three days until Kyle and I plan to hit the road in our trek from Massachusetts to California and back. The preparations that we still have to finish are daunting, but I'm hopeful that we'll be in Asheville, NC to see the fireworks on the fourth of July, as tentatively planned. If we're lucky enough, we'll make it to Clingman's Dome (Smoky Mtn. National Park), the third highest point east of the Mississippi, by nightfall to view the colorful spectacles from the mountain's panoramic observatory tower.

In these past few weeks, the veggie car has seen a lot of action. I've given presentations to nine elementary and middle school classes, three Andover High School lunches, and one crowd of Andover townspeople at the AHS Senior Exhibition night. Through these presentations so far, I have been trying to raise awareness about American energy consumption, fossil fuels, peak oil, and cleaner energy options, which I will elaborate on through this blog for the next month.

In case you'd like to read more about the veggie car's story thus far, two more local newspapers have featured my veggie car recently. Andover High School's Warrior Weekly published "Veggie Car Rules the Roads in Andover," and the Andover Townsman reported on the AHS Senior Exhibition night with "Design Your Own Course," and featured an article in the graduating seniors section called "AHS GRAD PROFILE: Youth Converts Car to Green Fuel."

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOU ALYSSA GOOD LUCK!
    -Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was doing some of my own research on veggie oil cars because it has been something that I have known about since i was 15 (I'm 21 now). I have put off learning how to drive because its really expensive and I hate pollution. As i was researching I came across your story on the internet and I just wanted to congratulate you on your accomplishments thus far! I don't know where in California you will end up but I live about an hour north of San Francisco and it would be awesome if I could meet you and hear about how the conversion happened and how you got into it etc. Good luck and thanks for the inspiration!
    -Aaron Calhoun

    ReplyDelete